Do smells remind you of memories? Whenever I smell things burning, I think of fireworks in Grantsville or sitting around a campfire in Logan Canyon. It's filled with good memories. That same smell will now remind me of the hot shop.
For Christmas, Heber gave me a class in the hot shop, which is the full size glass blowing studio. We are talking a kiln filled with hot glass sitting molten and fiery hot at over 2,000 degrees. It's large scale rods handled with both hands with the possibility of making vases, cups, bowls.
I have done this once or twice before but never week after week like at this 6 week class. It's a slower process then expected in many ways. Larger projects take a longer time to build up the heat to work the project. The other unexpected is how much I enjoyed taking it slower.
Glass is becoming less of a mystery. Watching glass react to my actions or being able to tell when there is enough heat to work it is endlessly fascinating to me and I'm actually getting better at it. It has become a real passion in my life (as you can tell from the blog). I've been thinking about passions lately, they bring a lot of joy to my life. It's one place that I can see myself progress and develop.
Here's some of the projects I made. It's just too bad I didn't get a chance to have a picture of me doing it.




2 comments:
Beautiful!! :)
Amazing! What a beautiful passion to have. You definitely have a talent for it.
Post a Comment