Monday, March 11, 2013

Bad Luck

I love libraries.  There are few things that are better than looking through the shelves and finding a stack to bring home with me.

Going along with that, I've had a bit of bad luck lately.  Mostly with library books.  The other is that I burned a whole in my shirt at glass this week.  I was so disappointed that I'd actually worn a shirt that I liked.  Bah.  There is totally a burn mark and hole.  Oh, and we had to replace all of our brakes at the same time on our car.  Awesome.  

 Back to the books though, I lost an audio book right after Christmas.  It fell right into the pit that was January.  Lots of things fell down that hole but most were not nearly so expensive.  I went to the library to fess up to the loss, which was incredibly embarrassing on it's own, and they told me that it would be $75 to replace it.  $75.  Really.  I didn't even listen to the whole thing.  Made it through one disk and was bored.  For that I have to pay $75.  At least it could have been a really good read, but alas.

I got online to find another copy so that I didn't have to pay the $75.  I was able to find a $25 used copy.  I'm hoping they'll accept that, otherwise, it's more money down the drain.  I have literally looked everywhere.  There is no place that it could be.

This was on the heels of the "water damage incident."  I like to read when I do my hair.  It's long, it takes a while to do so I read.  Of course I flung my hand and into the toilet it went.  It's at that point you wonder it you fish it out (because it's a library book), do you refuse to touch it and leave it be (because it's a library book)?  I fished it out. 

Epic fail.  Right?  How do you return a book like that?  "Well, I..um..dropped it in some "water."  What did I do?  Well, I ordered another on amazon and transferred the perfectly good library labels to the new book.  I then returned it without saying a word. 

Please don't tell the library on me.  I may never be able to go back and I really like that place.  And don't tell Grandma Barbara, she was a librarian for years and will have far to much experience with this. 

Also, you can stop laughing about the book in the toilet.  I'm going to go hide in shame now. 

No comments: