Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Healthcare

I am picky about healthcare.  I want a doctor who will take the time to listen to what I'm saying, who will explain their reasoning behind pursuing different options.  I want a doctor who isn't too busy or self important to really listen to what I'm saying.  Oh, and one that will check with my insurance company to assure that an unnecessary test is covered.

Is this too much to ask?  Perhaps.

I've had some bad luck with doctors in Virginia but I've learned to be a proactive patient.  Had I not learned this, Leo may have been born via c-section.

There was a span of a couple of years where I spent an average of 118 minutes a week waiting at a doctors office.  Twice a week I would go in to receive a shot for allergies.  Week after week, I was injected with the pure form of sagebrush (I grew up surrounded by sagebrush) and dust mites.

While this is not exactly how I would have preferred to spend my time, it was worth it to not have to deal with allergies anymore.  The positive side was that I was on a first name basis with everyone at the clinic.  All the doctors (not just my practitioner), nurses, CNA's, receptionists, even the people who worked at the pharmacy across the lobby.  I didn't even have to check in after a time, they just knew.

The care I received at that clinic was outstanding.   Now, I don't expect that I will ever get service like that again but it's hard to go back after that.  I have to admit that leaving that office was one of the hardest things about moving from Logan.  Finding a good doctor that fits your personality is difficult, but, it makes you really appreciate it when you find it.

Is healthcare on your mind too?

No comments: