We just got back from pretty much the most interesting weekend ever.
We went down to southern Virginia to get away for a day or two and spend some time talking about what's next for us. You know, the future and what in the heck we're going to do. (We still don't know, but progress was made).
The whole trip was memorable. Heb and I aren't real planners (which is ironic because that's what I did for a living for several years). We usually decide a location and wing it. Not always the best idea.
I found a hotel online, which is a risky business, that turned out to be the longest operating inn in America. That's right, oldest continuously operating inn. They didn't say that on their site. You should have seen the hotels/motels that we passed to get to that one - there was the Super 8, the Motel 6 and any number of disgusting looking establishments. Believe me, we were happy with where we stayed.
We spent quite a bit of time in the Shenandoah National Park. When did Heb and I become city people? I didn't realize how much I missed mountains and being alone. That park is one of the most stunning things I have seen in my life. It was so peaceful and it filled me up. I think I understand why people love nature. I got my summer wish to sit around a campfire and to see fireflies.
![]() |
| Oh, and Leo was crawling all over. He loves to be standing up and is quite a big boy. |
![]() |
| It was overcast but there was beautiful mountains (real mountains!) and the Shenandoah River going through a green valley. |
The. best. people. watching. ever. Really.
There were a few hundred in all that were participating and watching. People, apparently, sign up to be reenactors. They buy whole outfits and act out the battles for fun for days. You know that I love to watch people who are passionate about what they're doing.
There were horses, full on cannons and shooting guns but best of all was the crowd. There were the confederate flags flying and people really got into it. Definitely something to see at least once in your life.
All of that and a cave, in one weekend. Quite the adventure. But the best part was hanging out with Hebs. Pretty much anything would be fun, so long as we're together.








7 comments:
What a fun, spontaneous weekend! :) You'll have to tell me more about it. That inn looks sweet...perhaps Bryce and I need to head that direction for a fun filled weekend.
Sounds great.
I love Shenandoah Park. It's one of the most beautiful places on Earth. Glad you guys are having so much fun! Leo is cute as ever.
You guys are quite the travelers! Love that I get to learn and see all of these fun places back East through you guys. ;) Quick question- what does Leo's onesie say in the first pic? I caught...BYU, U of U, and USU...as a former Aggie, I'm interested to know!
Also, love those "need to figure what the heck we're going to do next" talks. Bart and I have those quite often too. ;)
Hi Gentri! I tried leaving a comment on this post last week, but I guess it didn't take...
I was curious as to what Leo's onesie says in that first pic...I could see U of U, BYU, and USU?
Also love how I get to see so many cool spots on the east coast through you guys; you're quite the travelers and I love it!
His shirt says BYU is self righteous, U of U is unrighteous and USU is just righteous. Ha. ha. Funny little shirt.
Ha ha! Thanks for sharing! ;)
Post a Comment