Monday, June 11, 2012

The Face


Last night we got to skype with our cousins in Japan who had just had a new baby. I watched her hold her baby for the first time and it brought so many emotions up in me.  I watched her face, you know, the mother face that is so full of love.  The face that tells the story of all the waiting and hoping to be a mother and sweet joy that the baby had finally come.

It made me remember the first time I held little Leo, how tired I was, how completely spent but so in awe of this new little life that was my son.  It made me forget the hours and hours of labor and being exhausted to the point that I almost had no more to give.  Instead, I thought about his dark head of hair and plump cheeks.  How I was so relieved that I had done it, had survived the birth process and had a sweet little boy to be part of our family.

In all of the daily life, the diapers, the waking up in the night, sometimes I forget that feeling but it always seems to rush back when he falls asleep on my shoulder or when he looks around to find me.

I don't ever want to forget.

2 comments:

Jodee said...

I think you are talking about that glow right? ;) Although never having experienced it - I love to see it on my friends faces. Leo is so cute!

Lacey Sue said...

You are such an extraordinary mother Gen. So loving, so giving, your little man is so utterly blessed to have you as HIS mom!