Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Amy's Nursery

This is the first of many posts to come about the new house.  So many of our family and friends are spread across the US, I want to share our new space, even if you can't see it in person.   This is my favorite space in the house so far.  We all spend a lot of time playing in here, nursing, wishing for sleep....
Welcome to Amy's room.
Our little Amy was born amidst a whole lot of transition.  We were in the Logan two bedroom condo with no idea where the next months would take us.  I put together a little corner for her but never really figured out how to get a 2 year old and a newborn to sleep in the same place together. 

This is why it was so important to put together a special space for Amy in the new house.  I'm one of those people who like to have a nursery all prepared before they are born.  I want to mark the big occasion it is to be born and to be a person, even if they probably won't remember it.  But you see, I'll remember it.
This is how it looks most of the time.  Leo and Amy playing, toys everywhere!  This is how I like it best.
When I decorate, I want things to mean something to me.  I don't want to go to the store and just buy what goes together, even though that would be much easier, I want to have a connection to it if I'm going to look at it everyday.   Many of the things in this room were given to me from my mom and sisters, Heber built the changing table and his dad built the crib.  Most is handmade and I think that is even more special. 
Heber bought this poster for me when he was out in DC at the job interview for his current job.  It just happened to work perfectly in this space.
The heart mobile
When I was expecting Amy, I knew immediately that I wanted her room to incorporate two things, butterflies and coral.  The first time I was in the Amazon in Peru was the summer before my senior year of high school.  I brought a framed butterfly home.  It's blue and has been something that I've loved for a long time.  It reminded me of being an adventurer and seeing the world.  That trip changed my perspective about the world and myself.  Butterflies have had a special place in my heart since. In fact, I purchased the butterflies for Amy's mobile a full year before she was born.  Just thought I'd be prepared if it happened. 
Butterfly mobile
 I hope that Amy loves growing up here. 

There's a special place for Amy's blessing dress.  My mom made this using lace left over from my wedding dress.
The closets here are huge.  Her room is relatively small but it makes it a little better to have a nice big closet.
With sweet little house bedding.

1 comment:

Jamie Blake said...

So beautiful and perfect in every way!