Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Mount Vernon By Candle Light

 
It's no secret that I love Mount Vernon.  We've only been here a couple months and I have been down there twice already.  There are places here that I am continually drawn to, and Mount Vernon is one of them.

I've had a D.C. bucket list for years.  I have all sorts of bucket lists but especially D.C.  What's on it, you ask?  Well, going up in the Washington Memorial (never done), Visiting the East and West Wings of the White House (back when I was an intern, Heb and I did this together), Attending a function attended by the president (not yet, does it count if I've seen him in person?), Visit the National Cathedral and attend Easter Mass there (nope) and see Mount Vernon by candle light.
 
A couple of weeks ago, we did just that. Our friends got some tickets for an evening picnic.  I guess it was for people who lived in the area that used to be the George Washington Estate.  It was awesome.  We picnicked on the Potomac, took a special tour of the basement and enjoyed a great evening.  Our friends gave us the tickets.  We are so thankful for them in our life.  And, really, everything is more special when done by candle light.
The basement at Mount Vernon.

No comments: