Thursday, October 20, 2011

Escape


I dropped Hebs at the airport this morning. I wish I were flying out with him. I'm bummed that I don't get to be there with him, to see the family and celebrate the life of Grandpa Green. I'm thankful Heb gets to go though.

We've been thinking and talking about Grandpa Green a lot lately. On Saturday, we just felt like we needed to get away for a few minutes, step away from some of the hustle and bustle. We got ourselves a bucket of fried chicken (it was "fried chicken saturday." Ask Heb about that one sometime) and went down to Middleburg. It's a pretty rural area with picturesque farms and trees. I never knew that farms could look like that.

I think I grew up in a somewhat rural place. Even now, the smell of alfalfa reminds me of home. We rode horses (remember the Dun Mair?) and went with dad and Grandpa down to the Bingo (their cattle land). We played in the high stacks of hay and fed grass to the cows. We chased after the wild cats and chickens. We enjoyed mountain views and views of lots of weeds.

Let's just say, these farms did not look like that. They were show farms, the immaculate kind for breeding show horses and growing grapes for wine. They oozed of money and it didn't quite feel like home. One thing we did see was hills. That's right, rolling hills. You have no idea how rare it is to see that here.


Me and Baby.

There was a charming town with some shops. Honestly though, it was kind of a let down. One of the main reason we headed down was to see some of the famous fall leaves. There weren't that many out - it's late October, come on. It's time for fall leaves. After the lack of colors, the town (oozing money itself) just wasn't that exciting. We didn't even stop for ice cream, which is saying something. I guess for that day, all I needed was the company. Love that Heber. Hope he's enjoying himself out west.




4 comments:

James +Tami + Max said...

So jelouse of your adventures. Discovering new things so fun even if it can be a let down. .... I am LOVING the baby belly.... You talk of Heber and yet I feel like I don't even know him anymore. I can't remember the last time I talked to him. Sad :(

wendys said...

We missed you at the funeral!

michaelstubbs said...

Where's all the sagebrush?

Kate said...

Lookin' good Gentri, just a few more weeks to go!