I grew up in Grantsville. My family has lived in this little town for four generations. I like to joke that my "people" sacrificed everything to walk across the United States to Utah and now I live in Virginia.
We are coming up on our second anniversary this summer. That's not completely accurate because out of the last five years, we've spent four of them living in VA. I guess that I've noticed a shift lately, and especially on our last trip out at the end of March. Utah doesn't really feel like home anymore. All those years that I lived away, I always considered my home to be Utah. My family was there, my best friend, all of my favorite places to shop, a common culture....it was all there but I've felt a shift. We are settled here in our life and our home. It's a good feeling to not feel quite so torn between the two places.
Back in February, my parents announced that they would be taking a job in Chicago. This doesn't seem like groundbreaking news. People move all the time, I just read of a good friend here today who was moving. But, you see, my parents have lived in Grantsville for nearly 60 years. In my childhood, we lived in two houses, around the block from each other. You can see how a move to Chicago would be big news.
I'm excited for them to go, everyone should have some big adventures in their life. Knowing that this move was imminent certainly changed the trip for me. People move on, lives change but there was so much about my "Utah life" that didn't really change much. Yet, now even my most stable anchors are venturing out for something new. It all has made me realize how much I've changed and all I've experienced as I've moved.
While I was out visiting, I couldn't get enough of the mountain views. The sweeping landscape is the complete opposite of our home here. The vast landscapes with no people that stretched as far as I could see were majestic. There really aren't big wide open spaces like that here. I think I forgot how open it could be, how big the sky was. This probably sounds silly but it was like seeing my life, each part so starkly different from the other. Each has their beauties and their flaws, as does everything in life.



No comments:
Post a Comment