Sunday, October 7, 2012

Outer Banks

When I was a young women, I went to girls camp every year.  My favorite was the year that I was a stake leader.  It was the best.  When we're together, ask me about dressing up as a dummy or the chipmunk on my pillow.  It was one of those experiences that changed the way that I looked at the world.  I distinctly remember walking into my Grantsville home and looking at it with new eyes, almost like I didn't remember what it looked like.   

This is how I felt this past week.   Heb, Leo and I were on vacation in the Outer Banks in North Carolina.  We had the best time.  We rented a beach house with some friends and were literally 5 minutes from the beach.  We didn't worry about anything.  Heb didn't think about work (which is pretty significant) and we just enjoyed ourselves. I almost forgot about our house, about anything not at the beach.
We loaded our car right up.  Man there's a lot of things to pack with a kiddo.
 We sat on the beach. We played in the water.


We laughed at Leo joyously exploring the beach.  I think we have a real beach bum on our hands.
We visited lighthouses.

 
We saw the place where the Wright Brother's took their first flight.  A true Air and Space moment (you know that Heber loves air and space stuff.  The first time he came out to visit me in DC when we were dating, he spent three full days at the Air and Space Museum.  That's love.)

We were just together...even while trying to keep our little guy happy during the long drive.



We would wake up in the morning and walk along the beach in the waves. There are few things I love more than walking along the water (I really do like long walks on the beach).

One of the highlights of the trip was hanging out with the Barker's.  When traveling with friends, you either really like them afterward or never want to see them again.  Luckily, we had a great time.  The kids all played together and we had so much fun playing games and taking it all in.  We even want to do it again.
The other highlight was seeing my old friend Janette and her husband Sasha. They recently moved to North Carolina.  It felt so good to talk to an old friend. 
So now, it's over and we are getting back to our life.  Hopefully we'll visit Outer Banks again.

2 comments:

Jamie Blake said...

Looks like such a fantastic time! I think we'd love it there. I'm glad you guys were able to forget about your worries and "real life" and just enjoy your vacay!! :)

Kate said...

That beach looks beautiful!!! I too love walking on the beach...wishes from a true Loganite.

Also love the pics of you guys having fun with Leo on the side of the road. I can so see Bart and I doing that with ours! ;)