Sunday, September 25, 2011

The 4-Square Incident of '07

There have been some notable birthdays over the years for both Heb and I. There have been many a white elephant gift exchange (and Heber's acquisition of 1 awesome pink sweatshirt), homemade pizza and the home school reference (thank you Austin), and of course, the campfire up Logan Canyon, just to name a few. The most notorious is, what we lovingly call, the 4-square incident of '07.

It was 2007 and we had planned a lovely birthday party for Heber. We still lived in our little old house then and invited some folks for cake and of course 4-square. Yes, we play 4-square. Let me tell you, it is no longer just for 2nd graders. Since we didn't have anywhere to set up the game, we made our way over to a local elementary school. Keep in mind that it is almost 9:00 at night. We start playing and...well, some kids come and join the party.

One thing I have to point out is that four-square with adults is fun, 4-square just with kids is fun but 4-square with a mixture of kids and adults is NO fun. Especially when it was not planned to be that way. The kids, who happened to have parents that worked at the same company as Heb, thought it was perfectly appropriate for them to stay playing, even though, this was obviously an adult game. at the elementary school.

Anyway, long story short, they played, wouldn't move squares, were sticky and generally made it a not fun experience for all of us. Why do I bring up this story from so many years ago? Well, when I was planning Heber's birthday party this year, I was very aware that this would be our last birthday without any children. From here on out, it's kid party city for us. I wanted to do one last hurrah.

So, I invited people and said you can come but please don't bring your kids. Am I a jerk? Very possibly. But when you remember the 4-square incident of '07, it brings it slightly into perspective.

We played games, we ate homemade corndogs, we collected awesome prizes, and you know what, we had the best time. Perhaps even, the best time since we've been here. We celebrated Heb's day with his favorite chocolate cake and laughed the night away.



Happy birthday to my favorite guy in the world. I'm so glad to share the years with you.

As a side, where are all the pictures of me from that evening? We apparently didn't take any. Hmm.. I'll have to work on that.

5 comments:

Ruth said...

I think having a party and saying "no kids" is totally acceptable. Although getting a babysitter can be hard for some people I think all adults enjoy sharing adult company without the kids, from time to time.

michaelstubbs said...

Happy Birthday, cousin Heb.

Lacey Sue said...

I think your totally in your rights to say "no kids"!!! I sometimes wish people would say that to me...and I have THREE kids. Sometimes, its nice to just hang with adults!! Looks like it was a fun party! Happy Birthday to your wonderful hubby! How are you feeling sweetie?!

Jill said...

Looks like you guys have way too much fun! Wish I had that kind of creativity!

Taunya and Ian said...

Happy Birthday Heber!! I am glad you guys did a one last hoorah bday with no kids!! I remember playing 4 square with you guys & that flour rolo game game looks familiar!