Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Donning the Caps


What do you do when you finish something really big, go to Disneyland, of course. I mean, who hasn't seen the football player who just accomplished his life goal make that exclamation?

So that's exactly what Heber and I did when we finished grad school, a whole Disneyland post coming soon. I know this is slightly overdue (or maybe way overdue) but we had a lot on our plate with the move and it's something I'd like to remember, that's exactly how I'm going to justify this late post.

Heber and I have been in school forever. Ok, not so long for me with a few years break in between but for Heber it has been the whole time we have been married. And that's a looong time. He went straight through from undergrad to grad and even muscled through some summers. It has been a big deal for us to get through it. It meant late nights, gobs of stress, having our brain somewhere else and jumping through all the hoops that is higher education. But, we're done. Finally.

I don't write this for congratulations or praise, just relief that it's over and done. Now, every night we look at each other and feel like we should be studying something or stressing over some assignment. We don't really know what to do with ourselves or even how to interact with people who aren't students. All the people here in VA can attest to that.

We proudly donned our incredibly ugly caps and gowns (really, who came up with those and thought they were such a good idea?) and went through the ceremony of receiving our degrees. I think you should always participate in commencement, no matter how boring, it completes the experience.

Our families who braved the ceremonies. Yes, I know my hat looks nerdy. In all that time, not one person mentioned that I looked like a loser with the hat.
The Lawrence's with Grandma Barbara

The Green's

Lunch at our house

My nephews (miss them so much!)

And the proud graduates. Who would of thought we'd share a cap and gown picture.




3 comments:

Loni said...

Whahoo! Wish we could have been there. We're so proud of all you have done!

Tarbet Times said...

Hi, I found you two through the Feils blog. Congratulations on both of your graduations! Also congratulations on the new baby. We really miss you both but hope all is well.

The Real Life of Mark and Em said...

Somehow I just barely saw this post. I love all the cute pictures of you two! I totally agree that everyone needs to participate in commencement, I encouraged Mark strongly when he graduated. This post makes me miss you guys however! Maybe Mark will get a real job so we can fly out and visit!