
It was Sunday Dinner at it's best. Ribs, homemade rolls, Dad's famous baked beans, fruit salad, potatoes. A beautiful meal on Sundays is something that my family has always had. Mom L says that it goes back to Grandpa Hiss and his time in a fox hole in one of the wars. He said that he never got quite enough good food to eat and that was something they were always going to have. Grandpa Dave, Uncle David, Grandma Barbara and Mattie joined us for dinner.

We went over to see Uncle David's new carwash on Main Street. It's coming right along. It's strange to drive down Main Street and see the new car wash and not Lawrence's Texaco. A staple in my childhood. I can still remember riding my bike over and sitting on the red vinyl stool while sipping a grape soda.

It's not about the town really for me. I mean, I had a very good and happy childhood. But it's more about the people, my family in particular. And yet, mostly because I don't live there anymore, I feel somewhat disconnected. I know the town isn't really home anymore. My family will always be home to me, where ever they are.

By not living there, it almost feels like I'm leaving parts of it behind. Heber and I need to make our life together in a place that works for us. But I don't want to leave the people behind. So, the question is how to move forward as an adult while still staying connected to my roots. This is something I haven't quite figured out yet. How do you balance it?
No comments:
Post a Comment