Sunday, July 25, 2010

24th of July

Oh how I needed a long weekend. Can I have a few more days please?

This weekend we got out and had some fun. On Friday we headed up to Bear Lake with some friends. We packed up the car with our best camp chairs, floating tubes and kite. Ending the day in the traditional way with raspberry shakes.




I did get a bit of sunburn, here and there. I thought I was so good about the sunscreen. I don't care, I'll take it. It means we've been out enjoying the day.

On Saturday, I went to my first really big rodeo. I've been to the small scale local ones but they had nothing on the Days of 47 Rodeo - and I'm not sure I liked it.

We walked to the Maverick Center behind a group of teens that looked like Adam Lambert, tattooed and spiked. I like to consider myself open to different kinds of people but this was not really my place at all. Realization of the day: I don't belong in West Valley City.

Then, it all started out weird, I had some treats in my bag that they said I would have to throw away. I didn't want to throw away good rice crispy treats so I lied. I told him I was pregnant and needed them. He let me in.

For the most part it was a good time watching the bare back riding of horses and bulls, the barrel event and other roping specialties. The one I didn't like was where a bunch of people on horses chased cows around and had to milk them and bring them to the judges. It was so barbaric. And that is really saying something from me who grew up around rodeos and horses. But it was for the most part a good time. Thanks to Mom and Dad for the free tickets.

3 comments:

Mindy said...

my favorite line of this post: "I don't belong in West Valley." classic. And I never thought about pulling out the preggo card, that was pretty tricky! :)

Kate said...

That is the exact same reason why hate rodeos too- BARBARIC! Ha ha about sneaking in your treats! I love the reason you come up with. ;)

Loni said...

haha, love it. At least you remembered it was Pioneer day....more than I can say for us!