Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Cocoa

I am a bonafide hot cocoa snob.  None of the merely slightly creamy drinks will do.  I don't even think that Starbuck's hot chocolate is that good (gasp).  I blame this snobbiness on the Cocoa Cafe, this Salt Lake establishment will forever be my favorite place, even after it very unexpectedly closed down a few years ago.

My sister and I discovered it one late night and I frequented as often as a two hour drive would allow.  There was just something magical about it all, comfortable, homey setting, sweet mugs and little spoons and then the most delicious (life changing) hot cocoa I had ever tasted.

When Heber and I were newly married, we would find ourselves there warming up over cocoa.  We'd meet our families there and play games and enjoy pastries.  It was lovely and perfect.

I never really felt like I could replicate it.  Right before Leo was born, we discovered a gelato place in Eastern Market on Capitol Hill that made a cocoa similar.  It was delicious but the modern decor left a lot to be desired.  They did tell us though that what I should be looking for is an Italian Hot Chocolate recipe, hello pinterest.

I discovered the following recipe and have made it a couple of times this fall already.  Here's a link to the original post.
Thick Spiced Italian Hot Chocolate
Sprinkle the top of the whipped cream covered hot chocolate with desired toppings, such as: Chocolate shavings, caramel and coarse salt, crushed candy cane, etc.
Serves: Serves 2
Ingredients
  • 3 T. Cocoa Powder
  • 2½ T. Sugar
  • ¾ T. Cornstarch
  • ½ t. Cinnamon
  • 1 tiny pinch Cayenne pepper
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1½ C. Milk
  • ½ t. Vanilla
  • Whipped Cream, to top
Instructions
  1. Place the cocoa powder, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, cayenne, and salt in a small saucepan and whisk together well.
  2. Add the vanilla and ¼ C. of the milk to the dry ingredients and whisk until combined and smooth(make sure to whisk around the sides of the pan to get all of the dry mixture incorporated).
  3. Add the remaining milk and whisk in well.
  4. Place the saucepan on medium heat and whisk constantly, for about 3-4 minutes or until mixture starts to boil and thicken.
  5. Remove from heat and pour into two mugs.
  6. Top with whipped cream and other desired toppings.

So, it may not be the Cocoa Cafe, but we've been enjoying cocoa by the lights of the Christmas Tree and the garland hung with all of our beautiful glass ornaments (because we are to the toddler phase where no glass could be on the tree but I still wanted to see it).  You should whip some up and enjoy it this season too!

No comments: