Thursday, June 4, 2015

The White House

I went to the White House last week.  How often do I write things like that?

My parents were able to arrange for tickets to go in, which is completely surprising because there were only two tours of the White House issued from the congressman's office during my semester of work there.

I am adventurous with the kids.  I tend to try to take them most everywhere but there are some places that we just don't go anymore.  Fancy restaurants after 7, big concerts, a White House tour, where you aren't supposed to touch anything and they are supposed to quietly listen to a tour guide in a group. 

Well, I threw it all out the window and went.  The opportunity to visit the White House doesn't come every day. 

We drove through the rush hour traffic and made it just in time for the tour.  It was so close.  We even got Amy out of the car and down the block before realizing that she only had one shoe but there was no turning back at that point.

We walked into that incredible historical building and we were nearly alone.  We wandered through the rooms at our own pace and just admired the spaces. I have always loved being part of things that are important, even if it's just to stand in the halls.  The kids didn't melt down too much and we survived even without a stroller or diaper bag.   I guess it all worked out, even one shoe down.
 

No comments: