Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Music of the Season...

There are some Christmas songs that I'm just not sure why they're remade over and over.  Some I'm not sure why they're classified as Christmas songs.  Ok, here's what I mean. 

Have you heard one of the thousand variations of "Baby it's Cold Outside?"  This girl is trying to leave a guys house "I really must go," and the guy part is coaxing her into staying by saying things like "your lips are delicious."  She doesn't want to stay (or maybe she does) and he is manipulating her into staying.  The kicker is the line, "what's in my drink?"  Does that sound like a safe, Christmasy worthy situation?  No.  Maybe a date rape one.  Ok, I said it.

What about the "Last Christmas I gave you my heart" song.  I don't even know the actual title.  This is a favorite of the teen bopper set to remake.  My personal favorite being the Hillary Duff version, no judgment please.  It sounds like a bitter break up song.  The girl still isn't over the heartbreak of the year before so she's swearing she's going to give her heart to someone special.  Is there someone special this year?  We don't quite know.  For her sake, I hope there is because she is singing about a breakup that is a year old.  It would be pretty depressing for her if she still wasn't over it.

Don't even get me started on the "Little Drummer Boy."  Absolutely the worst Christmas song ever.  Especially the Neil Diamond version.  Singing "Coming to America" is one thing but the "Little Drummer Boy," bah!

Now, I don't think that songs need to be religious to be classified as Christmas songs. The Christmas Song is one of the best.  I especially love "I'll Be Home For Christmas."  The difference is, both of those songs are Christmasy.  They instill the pleasant feeling of the season. 

Am I totally wrong here?  What Christmas songs or versions do you love?  Do you have some non favorites like me?

Let me throw in here that Heb and I went out to enjoy some Christmas music just this last weekend.  My in-laws offered to watch Leo and even provided tickets to the Tabernacle Choir Christmas Concert.  We went with our brother and sister in law.  We enjoyed the music but especially their special guest, John Ryhs-Davies.  He's Gimly in the Lord of the Rings movies.  He did an excellent job. 

With the temple in the background.

Love the lights on Temple Square
The whole group.  Yes, I'm 35 weeks pregnant.

2 comments:

Jamie Blake said...

I will say that one of the worst Christmas songs (to me) is the "Christmas Shoes" one. I am a cold, heartless person, I guess. But it drives me nuts!

The Real Life of Mark and Em said...

I agree about the Christmas music thing! I actually have lots of songs thAt bother me, so much so I don't actually know the titles. Looks like you had a fun date night!