Sunday, August 25, 2013

A Small Town Evening

It's been a busy week around here.  The kind of days where you're going all day long and yet still don't get everything quite done.  Heb's been working a lot of overtime lately, which means we haven't seen him much.  I had a Virginia Firebirds meeting this weekend (I'm the secretary), which meant quite a bit of computer prep work and meetings. 

So, we're tired.  And feel like we haven't seen each other in ages, with all the chaos happening.

We went out to this quaint little town, Clifton.  I know I've written about it before, but it just blows me away that there's this sweet small town just 15 minutes from the main road.  We ate at the Clifton Cafe, which had the best hot chocolate I've had here, by far.  And then we just wandered.  You know how I feel about wandering.  With all of the busy days, I just want to run away and wander for an evening.
 
This is my favorite thing about living in Virginia.  There are always new neighborhoods to explore that have their own unique flavor and many are hundreds of years old.  There's always something waiting to be discovered, just off the road.   Think all places are like that and I just didn't take the time to explore before? 
I grew up in a fairly small town and thought that I wanted to live in a big city.  I didn't want to go back to small town life.  I think I may be changing my mind about that one.  Porches with rocking chairs, rolling grass covered hills, knowing your neighbors...all of these small town things may not be so bad.
Check out this porch.  Don't you just love a front door on an angle?  On my dream home wish list.
Leo, of course, just wanted to run around.


No comments: