Sunday, July 14, 2013

The South

I am in love with the south.  The pre-Civil war era of grand plantations and fancy gowns. The Scarlett O'Hara before the war, you know what I'm talking about .  Not the whole slavery issue, of course, but the gentile parts.

We live in Virginia which is technically a southern state.  Ok, the D.C. area was part of the Union, but I'm claiming the South, but once again, not the slavery part... 

We visited a Plantation Mansion today.  It was one of those, we've been driving forever because I-95 traffic stinks, let's stop at this National Park that we know nothing about.  It actually really worked out. 



The Chathem House, built in 1771 right near Fredricksburg, had quite the history.  Most of the drama was during the Civil War when it was taken over by the different armies, turned into a hospital (home to Clara Barton, the founder of the Red Cross, for a while), and pretty much completely vandalized.  I just kept picturing what it would have been like in it's prime.

Leo was happy to be out of the car and running around.

No comments: