Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day 2012

It's Memorial Day.  You would not believe the patriotism and pride that swells on this holiday in the DC area.  Before, Memorial Day was always about honoring those who had gone before, mostly family members.  We would visit graves and lay flowers.  I can see now, that it is so much more.  It truly is a day to honor the sacrifices that were made to protect our freedoms.   
We went into the city today to the parade.  I think that you need to see at least one parade a year and because the 4th of July is about a million degrees here and millions of people flock to the city, we braved the 100 degree weather to see the Memorial Day parade instead.  Less people.
Us and our friend Jamie


The high school bands were out in full force.  We probably saw 25 of them.  Poor band members in their black polyester outfits and black hats.  How do they survive?  My favorite was the one with afroed flag throwers and gold go go boots.   We saw the national champion baton throwers.  Very American.  And we got to see Buzz Aldrin.  Not every day you see someone who walked on the moon. 

One of the highlights for me was getting this picture.
See who that is?  Oh yeah, that's Miss America.  I've secretly always wanted to see one in person. 

The parade ended with soldiers from every branch of the military.  Being here has increased my respect for the armed forces and those who serve.  How can you not appreciate what has been sacrificed as you attend parades like this or walk around the memorials?

It did make me miss my family.  Were we there, I'm sure Mom L would have put on a party (my family knows how to do holidays right.).  Dad would have made a pot of baked beans.  The Palmer boys would be running around and teasing Leo, I'm sure.  Well, we miss you all. 

This day is significant too because this was one of the first big activities we did last year right after we moved.  My gosh, I can't believe it's been a year already.

1 comment:

Jamie Blake said...

Wow, that was quick!! Already blogging about your adventures on the same day! Glad we were able to come with you (even though we didn't stay super long), and I'm happy you got to see Miss America!