Friday, January 20, 2012

Ode to Snow



I must confess that I have never really loved snow.  I think it's because I'm not much of a skier.  If you meet someone who really loves snow, it's usually that they really love winter sports.  And where I have no athletic ability whatsoever...I've always been at a loss when it comes to the love of snow.

This winter, I've really missed it though.  It is already mid January and it doesn't even feel like winter has started.  I gauge the start of winter on when I have to pull out my winter hat - that's when it's COLD.  Not once have I pulled it out, nor my gloves and rarely do I even take a scarf.  Which is crazy because I am a devoted scarf wearer in the right weather.

Snow always makes me think of back when Heb and I were first married. I think of coming out of the library on campus or the engineering building together into the cold night air.  The world completely still and quiet and Heb and I bundled up together after having studied for hours.  It was such a relief to be heading out.  Hand in gloved hand we would find our car.  It was such a busy time that when there were moments of stillness, we would enjoy each others company and perhaps throw a snowball or two. 
 
Back then, we lived in a cute red brick house.  There were several winters where the snow just piled up outside. Often you could find us out scraping the walk, if our neighbors, Austin and Meg, hadn't done it first.  It was a happy time with good friends.  Several times this year, Heb has mentioned how he missed shoveling snow.  

From our first Christmas in the old house.

It did snow for an hour or two last week.  Looking out the window at the light puffs of snow, I think it was the first time in a long time that I smiled over the snow.  There is something really beautiful about the world being covered in a layer of white.  It just makes home feel cozier.  As of now, we have bare trees and lots of brown here. 

We'll be heading to Utah for a few days at the end of February to bless our Leo.  Let's hope there's snow!

4 comments:

The Real Life of Mark and Em said...

I feel the same way about needing snow around, even if I don't participate in winter sports. Sadly we are swimming around here right now, hopefully we have snow for you in Feb.

Wendy said...

I guess Utah must miss you because there sure isn't any snow in Logan. All we have had the last few days is rain and 45 degree weather.

Kate said...

We've had very little snow so far this winter (didn't even have a white Christmas) so know that you're not missing out! Boys and I even went to the park a couple times this month...remarkably weird for Logan!

Ruth said...

Guess you weren't here last winter. We had a ton of snow. I'd rather have nothing than have to deal with that mess again.