Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Magic


Christmas has come and gone. It almost doesn't feel like it has passed already. It was a little bittersweet this year.

This was the first year without Grandma Lois. My grandma passed away a couple of months ago. She always made Christmas a magical time of year. I can remember many Christmas Eve's gathered around her Christmas tree and unwrapping wonderful things like down pillows and Holiday Barbie.

Even though she was gone, she still, by some miracle, made Christmas happen.
Her tree was set up in the living room just like all the years past and tucked under the tree were presents for every single person in our family, right down to the youngest great grandchild. She took the time to purchase and prepare a little magic before her time came. I nearly broke down just looking at the love.
I think it's because I come from a line of women like Grandma Lois, that I want to make the holidays a little magic for those around me. I want to take the extra time to make homemade treats even though its a bit of a hassle. I want Santa to visit (even though Heb and I are old) and for special traditions and family activities to occur.

It just reminds me of the first Christmas Heb and I were married. We were at my parents and on Christmas morning, his presents were wrapped with care and set out as if "Santa" had visited. He turned to me excitedly and said, "Santa came." As a youngest child, it wasn't quite as magical for him.

Heb, Uncle David and I

I know that I'm getting a bit old for the magic. It may be to the point that I'm now part of making the magic at Christmas. But if I can carry on even a little bit of Grandma Lois' love for the season, it will be well worth any extra effort.

No comments: